The Rogue Action Center (RAC) is an independent nonprofit hub for Rogue Valley community organizing for social, economic, racial, and climate justice.
The RAC helps local residents with movement building, leadership development and training, strategic planning, communications support, education on issues, and much more.
A group of proven organizers in Southern Oregon has established the Rogue Action Center (RAC) in order to…
- Grow an effective and coordinated movement that can win economic, social, racial, and climate justice based on the needs and realities of our rural and small-town region.
- Train and incorporate new people who are taking an interest in the Trump era.
- Help young people and people of color take a leadership role.
- Respond to increased threats by white supremacists and militia groups not only by exposing their activities but by offering an alternative vision for improving rural quality of life for all.
- Test rural organizing models that can be used in other communities, while learning from successful experiences elsewhere.
- Contribute to building power at the state and national level by organizing in a key rural region experiencing population growth and increasing diversity.
The Rogue Action Center serves as a hub for local and regional organizing through…
- Campaign coordination. RAC helps coordinate issue-based or nonpartisan campaigns that are important to the movement for justice and are not the responsibility of any single organization.
- Leadership development and training. Some leadership development is best done across organizations both for efficiency and to strengthen relationships.
- Strategic planning. RAC pulls people together to collectively take stock of what is working or not, look ahead to upcoming challenges and opportunities, and maximize the impact of local
- Research and policy development. Our movement as a whole needs more clearly researched and defined policy goals and a clearer understanding of the agendas of opposing forces.
- Communication coordination and support. RAC helps local organizations maximize our effective use of communications channels and share best practices.
- Political education. RAC is a center for study circles, workshops, a library, and other ways that individuals can deepen our understanding and analysis of economic, social, racial, and climate justice.
- Community building. Having a progressive community center is an important tool for building social connection and keeping up morale in these difficult times.
Organizers who have contributed to launching the Rogue Action Center, most of whom are in their 20s or early 30s, include Alma Rosa Alvarez, Kay Brooks, Alex Budd, Virginia Camberos, Mario Fregoso, Michelle Glass, Evan Lasley, Evan Mouledoux, Hannah Sohl, and Sarah Westover.